Part of “Merryman’s Lott,” 210 Acres of virgin timberland granted by Lord Baltimore in 1688 to Charles Merryman, whose descendants farmed here until 1869. The building of the stone house called “Clover Hill” began between 1790 and 1810. Enlarged to its present dimensions between 1825 and 1830, the home has seen numerous changes over the years. The mansard roof dates to the 1870’s and the small front entry porch was added about 1910. In 1909, the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland bought what remained of the Clover Hill estate; the house was to become the residence for the bishop of Maryland, and the grounds were set aside for the building of the new cathedral. That year John Gardner Murray was elected bishop coadjutor for the diocese, and moved into Clover Hill, followed by each succeeding bishop until 2008.
Learn more: http://episcopalmaryland.org
The Diocesan Center and Cathedral of the Incarnation, Baltimore
4 East University Parkway
Baltimore, MD 21218